This site is for all Atheists, especially new Atheists, black Atheists, ex-Muslim, former Jehovah Witnesses, and any Atheists who are struggling with revealing their rejection of a belief in God.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Why Choose Atheism. The Argument for Us

Today's posting is brought to you today by the Talking Serpent. When placed next to evolution, belief in a snake who could speak with all of his appendages should make you feel pretty silly.






















Why should you choose Atheism? What do I have against God? What proof do you have? What if you are wrong?

Today we will discuss all of these things. These are the usual questions I receive for or against Atheism.









The best answer that I can give you on why you should choose Atheism are more plural than singular.

First, everyone is obviously born an Atheist. You come into this world knowing nothing and having no knowledge about the universe. You learn about whatever deity you subscribe to from your parents or guardians. There are so many variables. The God you worship depends on many things including where you are from, who your parents are and so on. In short, if you are born an Atheist, you should die an Atheist.

Second, there have been tens of thousands of Gods. The only reason Americans are prone to worship this Judeo-Christian God is because Abraham's followers ( followed by the followers of Jesus and Muhammad respectively) . Even in Genesis God is referred to as the God of Abraham for a reason. Because there were plenty of other gods. Once Abraham's people starting killing and taking over other clans and tribes, the losing people lost their God.. Just read the history of any religion you follow. You will be surprised.

It also just doesn't make any probable sense. I don't think anyone believes in God. Yes I said it. Anyone with reasonable intelligence has to go through their entire life questioning all the ins, outs and variables of their God. You could be doing any number of things with your time than that. Most people seem to view God as some type of Alien. Jesus is a Zombie. The Holy Spirit is a ghost. Muhammad even seemed to be possessed by God. Angels look like people with wings. The Devil is a Man/Bull hybrid. Please give me a break. That sounds like a bad horror film. If God did exist and anybody saw him or his gang, we'd all just die of fear. I would rather do the Monster Mash with Dracula, The Frankenstein Monster, a Werewolf and Dora the Explorer. I could go on and on, but I need to cut this part short. Just do me a favor. Stop even concerning your life with and deity for one month. Once nothing unusual occurs, come back and tell me. If you get struck by lightning, God still doesn't exist. You should just stay out of open fields in thunderstorms.

Lastly, most Atheists reject a belief in God. They don't usually deny God. The more practical Atheist just doesn't believe in God. Could there be a God. Maybe, but it's highly unlikely. I can't totally reject anything. I can't even reject the idea of Santa Claus. Maybe the X-Men can save me when I get kidnapped by an evil space alien who is bent on eating all of our flamingos and drinking up our supply of Tang and YooHoo. I sound silly? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? You believe that a virgin had a baby by God 2,000 years ago. You believe that baby grew up and walked on water. Some people believe in Lord Xenu. All of it sounds unbelievable. So just stop wasting your time and don't believe at all.

And now for the most common idiotic questions I get on other blogs, message boards, Youtube videos, and my Facebook message box…

What do you have against God?

This is the type of frustrating question I try to explain to people all the time. Before I explain this to you I will say this. Read the definition of believer, then place non in front of it. I do not believe in God in any form or fashion. I am not Anti-god or Antichrist any more than I am Anti Dr. Octagon and Spider-man. So please do not ask me how I feel about imaginary things.

What proof do I have that God doesn't exist?

Well you got me there. I can't prove that God doesn't exist. But can you prove that God does exist? Didn't think so. My rejection is stronger than your belief 100 times out of a possible 100. Try me on this. You will lose. Badly.

What if you are wrong man? What if God is real and you go to hell?

Religion is supposed to be the pinnacle in morality, ethics, truth, and knowledge. To  use a scare tactic seems unnecessary with something so completely solid. I think Blaise Pascal was one of the main leaders of this Bush- like method of conversion. He said the following.


Belief is a wise wager. Granted that faith cannot be proved, what harm will come to you if you gamble on its truth and it proves false? If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing. Wager, then, without hesitation, that He exists.
That has a certain level of thought. The only problem I have with that is, "What if I am wrong about which God I chose? The right God could have been some God that people forgot 8,000 years ago.Now we are all screwed. We all might just be living to go to hell. Think about it.

One more pitch.

This isn't the final pitch to convince people to follow Atheism. A few of my friends, some internet pals and even my wife are certainly curious. How important is your happiness? How good is it to realize that their are answers to all of life's important questions? The meaning of life? We have that? Where do we come from? Know that too. Who do you trust? I am pretty certain that all of those crazy theological questions can be answered. I know it can be jarring Really I do. It's not fun to know that you aren't the center of the universe. It can not make you feel special to realize that no one is looking down on you helping you through the crisis, trials and tribulations of life. And finally,  the truth about the afterlife can be downright painful. We all want to live forever. To that, I give you the following data.

The universe is almost certainly infinite yet...

The planet earth is the ONLY place where life is known to exist.


300,000,000 sperm are released  during ejaculation

200 reach the oviduct

Your little tiny sperm self was the only one to "crack that egg" so to speak

Now you have the fortune of being alive, right now, today and to read my beautiful words on this blog.



See? You are still special. God doesn't really matter. Life, the universe, science, mathematics, art, poetry, music. It's all so important and wonderful without trying to make up where it all came from.

Finally, just open your mind a little bit. Search for yourself. The truth isn't out there. It's right here.


Tomorrow: How can you believe?

3 comments:

  1. My dad is an athiest and my mom believes in angels, so I am conflicted :-( its hard when you've been raised a certain way...sometimes I feel like saying God is some bullshit and then seconds later I feel like something bad is going to happen to me because I thought that way lol! smh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up i was raised to be (miserable)catholic... But after many years i struggled to figure out what god was... after numeriouse att emps to force myself to believe i just couldnt. This really bothered me for several years, finally I found so many reasons why there wasent a god and i really just accepted it. So now I stand a compleatly (happy) athiest. And I think that if people really asked around you would find more athiests out there than you think.
    Most people belive in god just on fear alone. People always fear what we dont understand or cant explain.

    ReplyDelete